A group of individuals in Northern Virginia who have been active in deer management issues with the local government and private groups for several years. All of us want to see public money used in an effective and humane manner to address the number of deer. Our goals include:
1. Reducing deer numbers via professionally performed ovariectomy (ovary removal). This is a one time, permanent solution.
2. Ensuring the latest technology is used to safely reduce deer-vehicle collisions, e.g., signage, roadway underpasses, or warning lights.
3. Encouraging the use of "4 Poster" feeding stations to reduce ticks on deer. (These apply a pesticide when deer feed.) Also, educating people that ticks are primarily carried by small mammals such as mice. The Virginia Department of Health does not advocate killing deer to control ticks nor does the Lyme Association!
4. Reducing the use of lethal means (bow hunting) that cause unnecessary, acute suffering.
5. Working to ensure a comprehensive deer management plan (DMP) using best practices around the country is used in our local area.
We invite you to review the following fact sheets on important deer issues along with a more detailed summary of the project. NOTE: Fact sheets will download to your computer rather than open in a browser window.